Thursday 5 May 2011

playing in photoshop... again

Here is a breakdown of my latest photoshop session: creating an advert from scratch.

To start with i needed a product, which would be my Skullcandy headphones. I wanted to keep it simple looking so i shot them on my desk with a lamp to one side creating interesting shadows, and the main light in the room on so they weren't too harsh.

I added a little vignetting in photoshop by cutting a circle out of a black filled square and then Gaussian blurred the rest, leaving just the soft outer edges. So far so good.


To make the headphones my own design i had to do some heavy photoshopping. I started with the colour. Rather than modify the whole lot i chose certain parts of the headphones to change colour, easing my workload. I started by using the quick select and circle select/deselect tools to perfect my selection (with the aid of my graphics tablet). I selected all the bits that i wanted to change using this method, which took about 20 minutes.


To change the colour (i wanted a nice vibrant orange) i opened the hue/sat window, set it to colourise (or colorize as the americans over at Adobe would have me spell it) and found the colour i was after. Straight away it looked pretty awesome.


Colour adjustments complete


 Next came the logo. Now i had decided to rebrand the headphones to my own fictional company 'Waveform' so the logo naturally had to be a wave. I found a similar logo through google images and just filled in the bits i did/didn't want with white/black to get my own logo the easy way.


Then it was just a matter of filling the white with orange, adding grain to match the headphone material (filters>noise>add noise) and rotating it into place. To blend it in i cut all the black out and clone stamped in the gray plastic from the headphones. Sorted.


Now my idea was to have the company customise the headphones in any colour combination desired, so a decided to theme the image that way by adding paint splats over it, as if they'd just been sprayed. I have a selection of stock images i bought a while back, which included black and white photos of paint splats and drips (pre-keyed). So it was easy to simply change the colour with hue/sat and set the layer mode to 'multiply' and presto, the paint splats look real. Some erasing was required where the layer mode looked wierd on the headphones, which ruined the effect of the paint being underneath them.


Paint splat set to 'multiply'. Finding the right layer mode was a matter of trial and error.


All the paint splats complete using the same method as before (although some required different layer modes). The final image is pretty much done now, i just wanted to add some text and a company logo to actually give it the promotional advert effect.


To save me posting another 12 or so images i am going to talk through this step in one post. Firstly the main orange splat was made using default photoshop brushes at different opacities. The text was cut out by first creating the text, rasterizing it so it could be edited and then selecting it, going to the splat later and deleting the selection from it. A simple idea but i reckon it looks pretty good. The logo i made/stole/edited for the headphones was used to cut out the shape from another splodge of paint. I finish it all off by using brush and erase tools with various brushes to add painterly details around the edges. This took forever and i hope i never have to do it again. That's it pretty much done now, but i wanted to emphasise the colour customisation options...


So by using the hue/sat tool to modify the reds in the image (once it was flattened) it was easy to get as many colours as i wanted! which is lots...
















No comments:

Post a Comment